Cat Nearly Dies After Licking Himalayan Salt Lamp

Rate this post

Cats are curious by nature and with their ability to leap on any surface, nothing is out of reach for them. While most pet parents try to “pet-proof” their homes, pets always seem to find the one thing that can cause harm.

Cat-owner Maddie Smith, from New Zealand, took to Facebook to share a near death experience her cat had with her Himalayan salt lamp. She hopes her story will save other pets.

The popular salt lamps are used by many but what people don’t know is how dangerous they are for pets. While the lamps can help purify the air and aid people with allergies, a few licks by a pet could be deadly.

*****WARNING ABOUT SALT LAMPS!!Written by Maddie Smith of NZ (case happened in NZ at First Vets): Please please…

Posted by Rose Avenue Vet Hospital on Friday, June 28, 2019

Smith and her partner Clayton woke up one morning and noticed their beloved cat Ruby was not herself. “We woke up on Wednesday morning to our darling Ruby walking really strangely and had her head in an odd position as she walked,” wrote Smith.

They thought the feline was cold and wrapped her in warm blankets before heading to work. However, when Clayton arrived home, Ruby’s health had declined drastically. He rushed her to the vet.

“The vets were extremely concerned for her and could see she definitely had neurological problems because she simply could not walk properly, could not hear or see, couldn’t even eat or drink properly because she couldn’t function her tongue the best. Her basic senses and abilities GONE in 12 hours. She was so helpless,” she posted.

*****WARNING ABOUT SALT LAMPS!!Written by Maddie Smith of NZ (case happened in NZ at First Vets): Please please…

Posted by Rose Avenue Vet Hospital on Friday, June 28, 2019

Đọc thêm:  Blind Cat “Sneak Attacks” Family Around The House

Initial tests showed that everything appeared normal, until the blood test results came in the following morning. “She had extremely high sodium levels in her blood. So this severe salt poisoning had caused her brain to swell, and ultimately the neurological problems that followed. The salt poisoning was caused by just your normal salt lamp that we had in our lounge, Ruby has ingested the salt by simply licking the lamp (we didn’t realise obviously).”

While this same incident has occurred with a few dogs, this was the first cat case the vet had seen. The couple was shocked and never thought their salt lamp would harm their precious cat. They are determined to share their story so no other pet has to suffer or die.


“Salt poisoning is EXTREMELY deadly to animals and she is basically a miracle to still be here now. These salt lamps are addictive to animals, and if they get a taste it becomes just like potato chips are to us! So please please keep these out of reach from your fur babies.”


Ruby is expected to make a full recovery with proper nutrition and fluids, but it will be a long road. The couple is grateful for the amazing staff at First Vets and credit them for saving Ruby’s life. They immediately removed their salt lamp and advice others to do the same.

People from around the world wished Ruby a speedy recovery and thanked Smith for posting. Many were not aware how dangerous salt lamps could be, and many stated they had salt lamps in their homes.

Đọc thêm:  Helping 20 cats and kittens in a Brooklyn basement

Leave a Comment